|Address before 1945:||Isarstraße 8|
|Address today:||Isarstraße 8, 12053 Berlin|
The Isarstraße Synagogue was built by the Israelite Fraternal Association of Rixdorf in 1907. Custom dictated that, when praying for others on the High Holidays, the name of one’s respective ruler be included in the list. This tradition had persisted into the Weimar Republic, with prayers being offered for the government or similar institutions. In a brave move, Rabbi Georg Kantorowsky (1883–1972; Rabbi of the Isar Straße Synagogue 1917–38) proposed during a service held in the autumn of 1933 that this tradition be suspended, as the country’s ruler was now Adolph Hitler.
The synagogue was destroyed during the pogroms on 9 November 1938. Kantorowsky was able to emigrate to the US via Shanghai.