|Address before 1945:||Unter den Linden|
|Address today:||Unter den Linden 6, 10099 Berlin|
Today’s Humboldt University, the main building of which is located on Unter den Linden, was founded in 1809 as the Berliner Universität. From 1828 to 1946 it was known as Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität (FWU).
During the Nazi period, some 280 instructors, or roughly 35 percent of the faculty, were fired — the vast majority of them because they were Jewish. Students and applicants also suffered discrimination and exclusion, including Marcel Reich-Ranicki (1920-2013). After attending the Werner Siemens Reformrealgymnasium and the Fichte Reformrealgymnasium, he applied for a place at the FWU. He was rejected. A comment in red ink on the rejection notice read “jüd.” (“Jewish”).