|Address before 1945:||Am Kupfergraben 7|
|Address today:||Am Kupfergraben 7, 10117 Berlin|
This elegant building, which was built in 1756, was granted to a civil servant by the Prussian king Friedrich II. From 1840, it was the home and workplace of the physicist Heinrich Gustav Magnus (1802–1870). In 1912, it became the domicile of the theater director, theater founder and artistic director Max Reinhardt (1873–1943), who lived here until 1921, as the memorial plaque on the façade states. Thereafter, he shuttled between Vienna and Berlin. Am Kupfergraben 7 was Reinhardt’s last place of residence in Berlin, before his emigration to Austria and subsequent escape via London to the US. Since 1945 it has been occupied by a variety of organizations, including the German Physics Society and the Atlantic-Brücke e.V., as well as serving as the private office of former Federal President Dr. Richard von Weizsäcker.