|Address before 1945:||Artilleriestraße 14|
|Address today:||Tucholskystraße 9, 10117 Berlin|
The “Verein für Kultur und Wissenschaft des Judentums” (Association for the Culture and Study of Jewry) was founded In 1819. Drawing upon this legacy, the liberal Hochschule für die Wissenschaft des Judentums (Higher Institute for Jewish Studies) opened its doors in 1872. From 1907, it was located in this building. A lion’s head, a symbol of wisdom in Judaism, still adorns the entrance portal.
Not only was knowledge about Judaism imparted at the institute; rabbis were also trained, including the first female rabbi, Regina Jonas (1902–1944). The list of famous faculty members who taught at this institution before its forcible closure in 1942 includes Leo Baeck.
Today, the Zentralrat der Juden in Deutschland (Central Council of Jews in Germany) has its headquarters in this historically significant building.