|Address before 1945:||Rosenthaler Str. 39|
|Address today:||Rosenthaler Str. 39, 10178 Berlin|
Otto Weidt (1883-1947) founded his workshop on Rosenthaler Straße in 1940. The operation was classified as “important for the war effort” since its production primarily served the needs of the military. Weidt employed approximately 35 largely blind and deaf Jews. By obtaining false passports and supplying people who had gone underground with food and provisions, Weidt helped many who were living in a state of illegality, including Inge Deutschkron (*1922), to survive. By bribing Gestapo agents, he was able to secure the release from the collection camp at the Jüdisches Altersheim Große Hamburger Straße (see Jewish Home for the Aged Große Hamburger Straße) those of his employees who had been arrested. By 1943, Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind was operating with just a skeleton staff. Following Weidt’s death in 1947, his wife kept the operation going until 1957. Today, the historic location houses a museum that is part of the Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand (German Resistance Memorial Center).