|Address before 1945:||Oranienburger Straße 30|
|Address today:||Oranienburger Straße 30, 10117 Berlin|
With a seating capacity of 3,000, the New Synagogue was the largest Jewish house of worship in Germany when it was dedicated in 1866. During the “Kristallnacht” pogroms in November 1938, the police officer Wilhelm Krützfeld (1880-1953) was able to prevent the synagogue from being burned to the ground by limiting the damage that the stormtroopers wrought to the structure. He was also presumably the person responsible for directing the fire department to the building. In 1939-40, services were once again held in the synagogue. Having suffered heavy damage during airstrikes in 1943, the main synagogue building was demolished in 1958. Between 1988 and 1995, the site underwent reconstruction. Today, alongside the offices of the Jewish Community of Berlin, the building houses the “New Synagogue Foundation – Centrum Judaicum”. A large number of Jewish institutions are located in the immediate vicinity.