|Address before 1945:||Schönhauser Alle 23-25|
|Address today:||Schönhauser Alle 23-25, 10435 Berlin|
At this burial ground, which was consecrated in 1827, some 27,000 people were laid to rest. Their number included celebrities such as the composer Giacomo Meyerbeer (1791-1864), the publisher Leopold Ullstein (1826-1899), the textile entrepreneur and patron of the arts Henri James Simon (1851-1932), and the banker Gerson von Bleichröder (1822-1893), but also many unknowns, among them a large number of Eastern European immigrants from the Scheunenviertel district.
In the 1840s, sections of the burial ground were converted into gardens allotments. The cemetery was closed in 1880. Thereafter, burials took place at Weißensee Cemetery. However, until 1942 and again after 1945, the occasional burial took place there, including that of the painter Max Liebermann (1847-1935). When Max Liebermann’s wife Martha Liebermann (1857-1943) committed suicide out of fear of being deported to the Theresienstadt concentration camp, the authorities initially prevented her from being buried alongside her husband. Only in 1960 were her remains moved here from Weißensee Cemetery.