|Address before 1945:||Levetzowstr. 7/8|
|Address today:||Levetzowstr. 7/8, 10555 Berlin|
Between 1912 and 1914 a synagogue was built on this spot that could hold more than 2,000 worshippers, making it one of the largest houses of worship in the capital. The building also housed a Jewish school and apartments belonging to the Jewish community. The synagogue was lightly damaged during the antisemitic pogroms of November 1938. Services continued to take place here until 1941. From that point forward, the building served as a collection camp for approximately 20,000 Berlin Jews prior to their deportation to ghettos and extermination camps. The war-damaged building was demolished in 1956. In 1960, a small plaque was installed. The present memorial was inaugurated in 1988.