|Address before 1945:||Kantstraße 158|
|Address today:||Kantstraße 158, 10623 Berlin|
The Reich Deputation of the German Jews (“Reichsvertretung der deutschen Juden”, or RV) was located here from its foundation in September 1933. The building also housed the Prussian State Association of Jewish Communities as well as the Children’s and Youth Aliyah organization founded by Recha Freier.
The RV was founded on the orders of the Nazis as a representative body for German Jews and as an umbrella organization for all Jewish institutions in the Reich. In 1935 the aid organization was forced to change its name to the Reich Deputation of Jews in Germany (“Reichsvertretung der Juden in Deutschland”); and in 1939, to the Reich Association of Jews in Germany (“Reichsvereinigung der Juden in Deutschland”). Leo Baeck (1873–1956) was one of the leading personalities in the RV. In June 1943, the Gestapo disbanded the association. On 6 May 1945, the first Jewish service after the liberation of Berlin was held in this building.