|Address before 1945:||Emser Str. 42|
|Address today:||Emser Str. 42/Pariser Str. 44, 10707 Berlin|
Founded in 1893, the “Centralverein deutscher Staatsbürger jüdischen Glaubens” (or CV; Central Association of German Citizens of the Jewish Faith) understood itself as representing the interests of the patriotic liberal Jewish citizens of Germany. It was the largest Jewish organization in the empire. From its inception, it fought for legal equality for Jews and against antisemitism in German society. From the 1920s, the CV collected material on the anti-Jewish activities of the NSDAP. Many members of the Centralverein adhered to a private understanding of Jewish culture and religion, with the aim of avoiding discrimination by adapting to the majority society.
From 1930, the Centralverein was headquartered at this location. Under pressure from the Nazis, the CV was forced to merge with other organizations to form the Reichsvertretung der deutschen Juden (Reich Deputation of the German Jews ) in September of 1933. Only in individual cases was it possible to continue to provide support to its embattled and persecuted members. After the organized pogroms of 9-10 November 1939, the CV was forced to dissolve under pressure from the Gestapo.