|Address before 1945:||Fasanenstraße 79-80|
|Address today:||Fasanenstraße 79-80, 10623 Berlin|
The Fasanenstraße Synagogue was built on this spot in 1912. With a seating capacity of 2,000, it was one of the largest houses of worship serving the roughly 27,000-strong Jewish population of Charlottenburg. Even prior to 1933, the area around the synagogue building was the target of numerous antisemitic attacks.
After being desecrated during the pogroms of 9-10 November 1938 — an event that can be directly traced back to an order by Reich Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels (1897–1945) — the building was gutted by fire, as the fire department did not extinguish the flames but merely prevented them from spreading to neighboring structures. Ernst Günter Fontheim, then 16 years old, was a witness to these events.
The ruins of the building, which had been further damaged in airstrikes, were eventually demolished. The Jewish Community building standing here today was dedicated in 1959. Pieces of the façade of the old synagogue have been incorporated into its façade. A memorial frieze in front of the building refers to the camps in which Jews, including many Berliners, were murdered during the Shoah. In addition, a stylized sculpture of a damaged Torah scroll has stood here since 1987. In 2010 a plaque was mounted, recalling community members originally from the former Soviet Union who fought against the Nazis during the Second World War.