|Address before 1945:||Tauentzienstraße 21-24|
|Address today:||Tauentzienstraße 21-24, 10789 Berlin|
In 1907 Adolf Jandorf (1870-1932) founded the Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe), one of the first American-style department stores in Germany offering a wide range of goods. In 1926, Jandorf sold the KaDeWe to the Hermann Tietz (Hertie) department store chain. Like other department stores, the KaDeWe became the target of an antisemitic and anti-modernist Nazi propaganda campaign, which disparaged the stores as “Jewish-exploitative”. During a nation-wide “boycott of Jewish businesses” staged in early April 1933, stormtroopers were posted in front of shops and department stores that were run by Jews or believed to be of Jewish ownership, including the KaDeWe. The brownshirts defaced and vandalized shop windows and prevented customers from entering.