Max Hermann is believed to have been the “last Jewish reader” at the Staatsbibliothek Berlin or Berlin State Library during the Nazi era. Born in Berlin in 1865, Hermann was a professor of German at the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität in Berlin. He donated his collection of 15,000 pre-press proofs of plays to the library. In 1933 he was forced from his post. As a private scholar, he was able to obtain a special permit that allowed him to circumvent the prohibition on Jews using the library. In 1938 the collection that he had donated to the library was withdrawn from circulation. In 1941, the State Library forbade him from using its holdings. In September of that year, he was deported, via the collection point of the Jewish Home for the Aged Große Hamburger Straße, to the Theresienstadt concentration camp, where he died on 17 November 1942.