Born in Rostock in 1883, Otto Weidt grew up in Berlin as the son of a wall-paperer and his wife. As a young man, he was drawn to the anarchist movement. Nearly blind himself, Weidt founded a broom and brush bindery in Berlin-Kreuzberg in 1936. In 1940, his workshop for the blind (see Otto Weidt Workshop for the Blind) moved to Rosenthaler Straße. Otto Weidt—who was not himself Jewish—helped save the lives of many Jews. After the war, he continued to run his workshop. In 1947, he advocated for the erection of a Holocaust memorial in Berlin and privately financed the construction of a new Jewish home for the aged and for children in Pankow.